eyesontherise.org, which focuses on creating student journalism related to environmental impacts related to sea level rise, emerged as an initiative among four journalism faculty members at Florida International University to raise public awareness of sea level rise through student and community engagement.
The project was initially funded by a 2014-2015 $35,000 Challenge Fund for Innovation in Journalism Education grant from the Online News Association. Original team members for eyesontherise.org include Robert “Ted” Gutsche, Jr., Susan Jacobson, Kate MacMillin, and Juliet Pinto. See news that came from our early efforts. Check out some of the courses we taught in our initial years.
When FIU’s School of Journalism and Mass Communication integrated into the College of Communication, Architecture + The Arts in Summer 2016, eyesontherise.org expanded to include collaborations across disciplines throughout the university and community.
Awards and Research
In early 2015, eyesontherise.org was named that year’s recipient of the Innovative Outreach to Scholastic Journalism award by the Scholastic Journalism Division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication. The project continues through efforts of individual faculty members and in research, including scholarship that has appeared in Journalism Practice.
When FIU’s School of Journalism and Mass Communication integrated into the College of Communication, Architecture + The Arts in Summer 2016, eyesontherise.org expanded to include collaborations across disciplines throughout the university and community. Look for more programming and storytelling to come.
This project was initially administered by the Online News Association with support from Excellence and Ethics in Journalism Foundation, the Robert R. McCormick Foundation, the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, the Democracy Fund, and the Rita Allen Foundation. Click here for the signed agreement between ONA and FIU.
Since 2015, the project has received funding and access to resources from multiple units of Florida International University and community groups.
Initial funding beyond that from ONA, includes:
- Gutsche, Jr., R. E. ‘Funds for VR work,’ College of Communication, Architecture + The Arts, Florida International University October 2016 ($2,000).
- Gutsche, Jr., R. E., Marsh, E., Sheerin, M., & Pinto, J. ‘Mobile Virtual Reality Lab,’ FIU School of Communication + Journalism, Florida International University, July 2016 ($19,000).
- Gutsche, Jr., R. E. ‘Eyes on the Rise Sensor Project,’ Department of Journalism & Broadcasting, Florida International University, June 2016 ($399).
- Canaves, M., Church, P., Gutsche, Jr., R. E. (PI), Jacobson, S., MacMillin, K., Nepomechie, M., Ozer, E., Pinto, J., Rifkind, D., Rovira, R., & Villar, M. E. ‘Eyes on the Rise: Citizen stories, science, and expression, CARTA Interdisciplinary Seed Grant Opportunity, Florida International University, March 2016 ($3,800).
- Welker, M. & Gutsche, Jr., R. E. ‘Student Environmental Advocacy Corps’ summer program, The Celebration of the Sea Foundation, May 2015 ($17,000 in funds and in-kind donations).
All financial records are available upon request through the contact us page.